One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Brickwork in a timber frame.
- ‘The wonderful nogging, including herringbone again, may be part of the original building - note the date in the brickwork of the lower storey: 1620.’
- ‘Brick nogging is a European method of construction which was brought to the new world in the early nineteenth century.’
- 1.1count noun A horizontal piece of wood fixed to a framework to strengthen it.
- ‘Noggings should be fixed between joists.’
- ‘Ensure that noggings, bearers, etc required to support fixtures and fittings are accurately positioned and securely fixed.’
Early 19th century: from nog + -ing.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.