One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to mental activity or the intellect.‘the noetic quality of a mystical experience refers to the sense of revelation’
- ‘Now foundationalism is best construed, I think, as a thesis about rational noetic structures.’
- ‘He describes knowing as a process of abstracting conceptual images from created beings. Knowing thus involves an ascent from the particular data of sensory experience to the noetic realm of concepts.’
- ‘Generally, the line taken is that although there are certain limitations to scientific knowledge, these are noetic rather than ontic.’
- ‘Moroney examines the views of John Calvin, Abraham Kuyper, and Emil Brunner regarding the noetic effects of sin, the ways in which sin negatively affects and undermines human knowledge.’
- ‘These mental images have no privileged status, such as Plato gave to his noetic Ideas or Forms; they are always true, but in this do not differ from the information provided by the senses.’
- ‘It's the same noetic principle, which is referred to by Vernadsky.’
- ‘Vernadsky spoke about the role of the individual, and the individual's contribution to society, the cognitive contribution, the noetic contribution.’
- ‘The hemispheres of the brain are now generally held to be the seat of those teleorganic processes which are coincident with noetic ideas and the active faculties of the mind.’
- ‘In the words of one of its founders, noetic science is concerned with subjective experience as opposed to materialistic science (which is essentially interested in objective experience).’
- ‘This is the so-called noetic principle, as described by Vernadsky.’
- ‘In order for us to have true beliefs we have to have properly functioning noetic equipment (brain, spinal cord, senses, etc. that operate in accordance with reality).’
- ‘Instead, reliable human access to natural law is a matter of noetic knowledge, of personal spiritual experience with God.’
- ‘The tradition of magical drumming is alive and well, and the effect of rhythm on our consciousness is recognized by more and more students of the noetic sciences.’
- ‘It represented more than a rigid code of behavior; it ‘is not a random collection of laws, but a method, an approach which creates a noetic reality.’’
- ‘They say that one could be rational in accepting a noetic system that has atheism as its foundational presupposition, since there is no good objective evidence for God's existence.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek noētikos, from noētos ‘intellectual’, from noein ‘perceive’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.