One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Christmas, especially as a refrain in carols and on Christmas cards.
christmas, christmastime, christmastide, festive seasonView synonyms
- ‘Catherine and I, with all our family, wish you a ‘Joyous Noel’ and a peaceful and happy New Year.’
- ‘Joyous Noel!’
- ‘This document contains the words and free sheet music to the traditional Christmas carol, The First Noel; the carol dates back many centuries and was first officially published in the early 1800's.’
- ‘So this Noel, a trip to the City's business district may well pay off.’
- ‘Since I have a little space left, Id like to wish each of you a Merry Christmas, Joyous Noel, Happy Hanukkah, and especially a Happy New Year.’
- ‘Have a joyous Noel, all of you!’
- 1.1 A Christmas carol.‘at Christmas the club sang noels at the crib’
Early 19th century: French Noël, based on Latin natalis (see natal).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.