One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Noxious, harmful, or poisonous.
poisonous, toxic, deadly, virulentView synonyms
- ‘However, the walk up the stairs of the venue to meet the pair saw thoughts of doubt seep into my mind like a nocuous substance, as they may want the mystery that surrounds their bluesy rock and motivation to continue.’
- ‘Though my habit of driving along looking at cars on the other side of the road could prove to be a bit nocuous.’
- ‘Spurs are pointed devices secured to a rider's heel which are also designed to provide a nocuous stimulus to an animal.’
- ‘The antivirus helps to save this information from various nocuous programs, and to reduce up to a minimum risk of infection of a computer.’
- ‘If we wish to expose ourselves to nocuous activities, it is very much our choice.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin nocuus (from nocere ‘to hurt’) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.