One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sensory receptor for painful stimuli.‘the heat from eating chillies produces ‘nociceptor firing’’
- ‘The transduction of noxious stimuli begins with peripheral nociceptors.’
- ‘When nociceptors detect a harmful stimulus - such as the hard surface that stubbed your toe - they relay their pain messages in the form of electrical impulses along a peripheral nerve to your spinal cord and brain.’
- ‘Anti-inflammatory drugs may play an important role in perioperative pain management by reducing the inflammatory response in the periphery and thereby decreasing sensitization of the peripheral nociceptors.’
- ‘Fish, like humans, have nociceptors which detect painful stimuli that respond to chemicals, heat and pressure.’
- ‘The density of nociceptors may be lower in the ear than in the thumb, or the effect may be influenced by patients' perception, particularly as the patient cannot see the ear being tested.’
Early 20th century: from Latin nocere ‘to harm’ + receptor.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.