One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the gaseous elements helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon, occupying Group 0 (18) of the periodic table. They were long believed to be totally unreactive but compounds of xenon, krypton, and radon are now known.
- ‘And what you pick up in the atmosphere is minute traces of radioactive isotopes, particularly the noble gases, Argon, Xenon, Krypton, et cetera.’
- ‘In the early 1960s, a number of chemists found ways of making compounds of some noble gases, including radon, xenon, and krypton.’
- ‘However, the space body left a calling card - complex carbon molecules called buckminsterfullerenes, or Buckyballs, with the noble gases helium and argon trapped inside the caged structure.’
- ‘It combines with all elements except the noble gases of Group 18 of the periodic table.’
- ‘The sodium ion has the same electron configuration as neon, the noble gas immediately before it on the Periodic Table.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.