Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having an honourable, generous character.‘the mighty sacrifice made by those noble-minded men for the good of our country’
high-principled, principled, honourable, moral, upright, upstanding, right-minded, right-thinking, noble-minded, good, honest, decent, ethical, righteous, virtuous, worthy, idealisticView synonyms
- ‘Beethoven was blunt, irascible, and ambitious, though good-natured, noble-minded, and idealistic.’
- ‘In the pursuit of wealth the noble-minded individual comes under the sway of an alien power.’
- ‘A person cannot be called noble-minded if he or she cares nothing about others.’
- ‘Equality ought to make men noble-minded.’
- ‘Condorcet was undoubtedly a most sincere, generous and noble-minded man.’
- ‘Reports had preceded her which even if they had been unfounded would have thrown any noble-minded woman into agonies of distress.’
- ‘In this time of rap-rock, movies like I Am Sam, which is gentle, heartwarming and noble-minded, don't stand much of a chance.’
- ‘It would be stupid to ignore the extent to which the industry's confluence of interests with the most reactionary forces corrupts the products of even its most noble-minded artists.’
- ‘I find it impossible to subject myself to aesthetic outpourings about the beauty of landscapes on the part of noble-minded and sensitive persons whose prejudices prevent them from going to the theater.’
- ‘It has pushed the idea that corporations are simply noble-minded job creation engines, that realize the importance of working for the sustainablity of our society.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.