One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The title of the hereditary ruler of Hyderabad.
- ‘Now, in August 1947, the Nizam expressed a desire for Hyderabad to be an independent country, acceding to neither India nor Pakistan.’
- ‘He is bedecked with the crown styled in the Mughal form presented by the former Nizams of Hyderabad as a token of reverence.’
- ‘The daughter of the last Ottoman Sultan married into the family of the last Nizam of Hyderabad.’
- ‘He cited several instances to show how the Nizam was a progressive ruler.’
- ‘The delighted Mughal emperor made him the Nawab of the Carnatic under the suzerainty of the Nizam of Hyderabad and thus were sown the beginnings of the House of Arcot.’
2The Turkish regular army.
Nizam (sense 1) from Urdu nizām-al-mulk ‘administrator of the realm’, Nizam (sense 2) from Turkish nizām askeri ‘regular soldier’; based on Arabic niẓām ‘order, arrangement’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.