One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound containing the group NNO attached to two organic groups. Compounds of this kind are generally carcinogenic.
- ‘Vitamin C is an antioxidant, and it also inhibits the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines from dietary amines and nitrites.’
- ‘When they are mixed with products containing nitrates, carcinogenic nitrosamines can be formed.’
- ‘Carcinogens, such as dioxane and nitrosamine, are commonly formed in synthetic concoctions and are virtually impossible for us to know about.’
- ‘In the presence of amines and amino derivatives, this chemical can form nitrosamines that are known cancer-causers.’
- ‘Nitrate must be converted to nitrite before nitrosamine can be formed.’
Late 19th century: from nitroso- (relating to nitric oxide in combination) + amine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.