Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An oily liquid which is used as a solvent and as rocket fuel.
- ‘This mixture was refluxed in nitromethane overnight and converted primarily to the all-trans isomer.’
- ‘The fuel I used is 15% nitromethane which cost AUD $14.50 for a 1 litre bottle.’
- ‘To be eligible for competition, fuel teams must use nitromethane from one of the accepted suppliers.’
- ‘The titrations were done in 10 mM increments, up to a final concentration of 100 mM nitromethane.’
- ‘Clearly, the binding to DNA effectively shields the chromophores from quenching by nitromethane, consistent with an intimate association of the compounds with the nucleic acid.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.