Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A reddish-brown poisonous gas formed when many metals dissolve in nitric acid.
- ‘In these reactions the ozone reacts with nitric oxide to produce nitrogen dioxide.’
- ‘Increases in ozone, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide are blamed primarily on the motorist.’
- ‘Nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide were chemically assayed as nitrite from sorbent tubes by using spectrophotometry.’
- ‘Free radicals such as nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide show weak attractions toward magnetic fields - they are called paramagnetic.’
- ‘Levels of nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide remained at a normally low level.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.