One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A reddish-brown poisonous gas occurring commonly as an air pollutant, formed by the oxidation of nitric oxide or by combustion in the presence of air. Below 21°C nitrogen dioxide is a yellowish-brown liquid.
Chemical formula: NO₂. It exists in equilibrium with dinitrogen tetroxide, N₂O₄
- ‘Levels of nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide remained at a normally low level.’
- ‘Nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide were chemically assayed as nitrite from sorbent tubes by using spectrophotometry.’
- ‘Free radicals such as nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide show weak attractions toward magnetic fields - they are called paramagnetic.’
- ‘In these reactions the ozone reacts with nitric oxide to produce nitrogen dioxide.’
- ‘Increases in ozone, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide are blamed primarily on the motorist.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.