One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group —NO₂, attached to an organic group in a molecule.
- ‘The twisted geometry of the nitro group with respect to the aromatic plane plays a key role in triggering such a photoprocess.’
- ‘Dyes are prepared by a nitration addition reaction to aniline, followed by reduction of the nitro group using sodium sulfide.’
- ‘Yet, replacement of a sulfonic acid group in a non-mutagen with the nitro group in structure 4 converts it to a mutagen, which was predicted correctly by all the models.’
- ‘Accumulation of nitrotyrosine, a stable product of the addition of a nitro group to the benzene ring of tyrosine by peroxynitrite is thus a stable marker of pathology within cells and tissue lesions.’
- ‘The most widely used method of preparing aromatic amines, for example, involves a nitration of the aromatic ring and subsequent conversion of the nitro group to an amino group.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.