One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A veil worn by some Muslim women in public, covering all of the face apart from the eyes.
- ‘Soon, Azza went further and put on the niqab, the veil that covers a woman's face below the eyes.’
- ‘The plaintiff holds a sincere religious belief that she should wear the niqab in front of all strangers and unrelated Muslim men.’
- ‘The tack taken by the majority of posters supporting her right to have a license while in niqab is that as a profession of her religious faith, the government is obliged to support her in this.’
- ‘Firstly, Muslim girls have talked to teachers about their concern that they might be forced to wear the jilbab and, possibly, at a later stage, the niqab (face covering).’
- ‘Sadat went as far as to ban the niqab at universities.’
- ‘No one is discussing the spread of the niqab (face veil) and its symbolism.’
- ‘The burqa and a smaller type of face mask, the niqab, has been banned by municipal injunction in the cities and towns of Ghent, Antwerp, Sint-Truiden, Lebbeke and Maaseik.’
- ‘The rights group also claimed that, ‘Islamist students at national universities often harass liberal female classmates for not wearing the niqab, a full veil,’ and that ‘non-Muslims are also victims of this discrimination.’’
- ‘Many of their womenfolk are clad in traditional head-to-toe black robes, and some wear a niqab, the scarf that covers the face - their appearance contrasting starkly with young local women who favour tight-fitting western clothes.’
- ‘Lately after the incident of him speaking freely to my brother in laws wives I felt like not wearing my niqab anymore.’
- ‘A gaggle of people - from older women in full black niqab to young British girls in shorts - are standing in line to get their picture taken with a live snake, one of a collection of 17 of the reptiles on display.’
- ‘Once accustomed to, the niqab is certainly not inconvenient.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.