One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
On nearly every occasion.‘nine times out of ten his customers will return even more satisfied’
- ‘The player may be feeling under the weather or possibly even have injured a finger or something, but the instrument will, nine times out of ten, be in full working order.’
- ‘And nine times out of ten, all that's needed to eradicate these risks is an alteration to our daily routines.’
- ‘We had the game, shouldn't have let them in for that goal, and nine times out of ten, we wouldn't have got another chance.’
- ‘It does not disguise the fact, however, that nine times out of ten, I am sitting in the shadows nearly wetting myself with fear over the chance that I might be discovered by a shambling madman wielding a garden trowel.’
- ‘Maybe it's their dark, brooding eyes, or their full lips, or their bravado - but there is no coincidence that the boys I make eyes with across the bar are, nine times out of ten, from South America.’
- ‘I have found nine times out of ten that they accept it.’
- ‘Groping people is one offense but there are plenty of others and, nine times out of ten, the abused person has to just take it.’
- ‘However, nine times out of ten, it gets worse, such as being beaten, and getting severely bruised as a result.’
- ‘You will find that nine times out of ten, the Democrats will be coming down on the same side as America's enemies.’
- ‘But, nine times out of ten, Ajax (and a very young Ajax team at that) would, because of their superior skill, come out on top.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.