One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The tall lifeless buildings of New York, busy streets and nine-to-fivers faded into non-existence as a closer look revealed a river tucked away between two hills.’
- ‘Shouldn't they be allowed to go for a martini at the end of a long day, just like the nine-to-fivers?’
- ‘It's also filled with politics, but they're of a more universal focus, concentrating on the common worker's struggle for security as an expendable nine-to-fiver.’
- ‘I, for one, have never known a journalist who ended his reporting day at 5pm any more than I know any graphic designers who are nine-to-fivers.’
- ‘As my wife is a nine-to-fiver and had only three days for the holiday, I had to take my auntie's place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.