Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having or showing an ability to think or respond quickly and effectively.
clever, bright, intelligent, sharp, sharp-witted, quick-witted, nimble-witted, shrewd, astute, acute, apt, ableView synonyms
- ‘A nimble-witted person can view a subject from a multitude of angles, often shifting perspective with bewildering rapidity.’
- ‘When we first meet Jennet she's a nimble-witted 11-year-old girl studying natural philosophy with her scientifically inclined Aunt Isobel.’
- ‘The nimble-witted scholar has little patience for her daughter, Clara.’
- ‘The lines had been composed by the most nimble-witted of the great professors of medicine of that time, William Bean.’
- ‘Nimble-witted Brendan (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) finds the corpse of his ex-girlfriend Emily (Emilie de Ravin) just two days after she had sent him a cry for help.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.