One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Becoming zero when raised to some positive integral power.
- ‘He used the, now familiar, tools of idempotent and nilpotent elements.’
- ‘He showed that the Frattini subgroup is nilpotent and, in so doing, used the beautiful method of proof known today as the ‘Frattini argument‘.’
- ‘All Hirsch's publications were in group theory, in addition to the work on polycyclic groups he published on locally nilpotent groups and automorphism groups of torsion free abelian groups.’
- ‘He introduced the idea of a normal form which he used in the solution of the word problem for Lie rings and also for nilpotent groups.’
- ‘After completely reducible systems, the notions of solvable and nilpotent systems are discussed, where general identities are considered instead of the usual commutativity.’
Late 19th century: from nil + Latin potens, potent- ‘power’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.