One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large predatory fish found in lakes and rivers in north-eastern and central Africa, widely caught for food or sport.
Lates niloticus, family Centropomidae
- ‘Stewart documents over 20 species of fish, including lungfish, electric fish, large minnows, catfish, Nile perch, and rare cichlids.’
- ‘In Africa, fisheries biologists intentionally introduced the voracious Nile perch into Lake Victoria, home to nearly a thousand species of endemic cichlids of the genus Haplochromis.’
- ‘When Nile perch began to impact local cichlid fisheries, locals started to consume Nile perch, but this fish required firewood for drying and preservation because it is much larger.’
- ‘The most common place to find the Nile perch is in Lake Victoria where the species was introduced in 1962.’
- ‘Among the warm water perch are Australia's barramundi and Nile perch of Egypt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.