One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large heavily built African lizard that has greyish-olive skin with yellow markings and is semiaquatic.
Varanus niloticus, family Varanidae
- ‘One of the biggest monitor lizards is Varanus niloticus, the Nile monitor, which may measure 2 m in length.’
- ‘The natural history of the Nile monitor has been summarized by a variety of authors.’
- ‘He said there has been only one comprehensive study of Nile monitors done in their native Africa.’
- ‘With a lot of patience, frequent handling, and a well stocked first aid kit, Nile monitors can be tamed.’
- ‘Four species of monitors are found in Africa and the Nile monitor is Africa's largest lizard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.