One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of the nature of a nightmare; very frightening or unpleasant.‘a nightmarish vision of the future’‘a nightmarish eight-hour journey’
unearthly, monstrous, ghostly, spine-chilling, horrific, macabre, hideous, unspeakable, gruesome, grisly, ghastly, harrowing, hair-raising, disturbing, kafkaesqueView synonyms
- ‘The story of the seven nightmarish days will be screened tonight at 7pm, with the second episode on January 15.’
- ‘It was the middle of the day, and the cloudless sky above took on a nightmarish shade of black.’
- ‘I mean it's a sort of a mythic, horrible, nightmarish kind of vision, isn't it?’
- ‘Not only did this nightmarish thing provoke instant nausea, it blocked my entire view of the stage!’
- ‘Once night falls and your enemies switch from the mundane to the nightmarish, the game becomes a dark feast for the senses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.