One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Of the nature of a nightmare; very frightening or unpleasant.‘a nightmarish vision of the future’‘a nightmarish eight-hour journey’
unearthly, monstrous, ghostly, spine-chilling, horrific, macabre, hideous, unspeakable, gruesome, grisly, ghastly, harrowing, hair-raising, disturbing, kafkaesqueView synonyms
- ‘It was the middle of the day, and the cloudless sky above took on a nightmarish shade of black.’
- ‘Not only did this nightmarish thing provoke instant nausea, it blocked my entire view of the stage!’
- ‘I mean it's a sort of a mythic, horrible, nightmarish kind of vision, isn't it?’
- ‘Once night falls and your enemies switch from the mundane to the nightmarish, the game becomes a dark feast for the senses.’
- ‘The story of the seven nightmarish days will be screened tonight at 7pm, with the second episode on January 15.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.