Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An American nightjar with sharply pointed wings.
- ‘Although this is desert, there is an incredible diversity of bird life along the river and in other areas of the park - mourning doves, American kestrel falcons, nighthawks and brown thrashers are just a few of the birds that call it home.’
- ‘The nighthawk belongs to the Family Caprimulgidae, a group of nocturnal and crepuscular birds also known as the nightjars.’
- ‘Swallows, swifts and nighthawks, all pursuing flying insects, fly erratically.’
- ‘It is smaller than a nighthawk, with a shorter tail.’
- ‘Some species with large mouths and small bills, such as nighthawks, whip-poor wills, and the aptly named frogmouth owls, open their bills wide as they fly into insects, and the prey is captured in the birds’ gaping maws.’
2North American term for night owl
- ‘Suitably soporific, it's one for sophisticated nighthawks only.’
- ‘He has a job, a home, he can come and go; he can look at the customers with a half-smile. It is the customers who are the nighthawks.’
- ‘The first kicks off at 8: 30 while for the nighthawks, a second session will begin at 11: 30.’
- ‘Few people were out since it was so late, though it was hard to avoid the nighthawks.’
- ‘His people were never the iconic nighthawks Edward Hopper found at the diner.’
- ‘The nighthawks sit alone, lost in their individual thoughts, as if in a glass bowl.’
- ‘Aping the seventies, this bar is for lounging and proves very popular among the more sophisticated of nighthawks prior to later excesses of the night.’
- ‘I'm a real nighthawk and I love chatting to listeners about what's on their minds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.