One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I did not feel the weight nor the pressure of the dress and corset I'd been wearing before, but rather the loose gauze of my nightgown.’
- ‘I shuddered and realized that I was only wearing a nightgown and a light robe.’
- ‘Jessica nodded and Jennie went into her own room, coming back with a loose nightgown and clothes for tomorrow.’
- ‘She was in a loose nightgown that was falling from her shoulder, but she didn't care.’
- ‘She was in a light blue nightgown with little clouds on it.’
- ‘She was met at the entrance of her rooms by her maid, who gasped in shock at the sight of the slight figure in her ghost-white nightgown, and hastily forced her back in.’
- ‘She was dressed now in a silk woven gauzy nightgown.’
- ‘Lillia crossed the room and grabbed her light-blue nightgown.’
- ‘I am wearing a red flannel nightgown with buttons and white snowflakes.’
- ‘Drew entered their bedroom to see Marietta still in bed, wearing a light, cotton nightgown and her dark hair in a long braid down her back.’
- ‘She wore a light blue nightgown with teddy bears on it and black wristbands.’
- ‘I just had on my light weight snow blue nightgown that went to my ankles.’
- ‘The floor was dusty and Carmen cringed at the sight of her dirty, torn nightgown.’
- ‘She made sure no one was watching, and changed from her nightgown to a light dress.’
- ‘I watched June walk across the living room toward the kitchen wearing a light purple nightgown and satiny bathrobe.’
- ‘She rushed into her closet and quickly slipped into a loin cloth as well as a loose nightgown.’
- ‘She slid out, landing in crumpled pile on the floor, squirming to get under the bed, her white, cotton nightgown pressing to her body as she tried to escape.’
- ‘I had put a robe on over my nightgown and both garments together did a fair job of deflecting the faint breeze.’
- ‘She was wearing a white floor-length sleeveless nightgown.’
- ‘She got up, pulling another long cotton nightgown out.’
2archaic A dressing gown.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.