Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Muslim tradition) the journey through the heavens made by Muhammad, guided by the archangel Gabriel. They flew first to Jerusalem, where Muhammad prayed with earlier prophets including Abraham, Moses, and Jesus, before entering the presence of Allah in heaven.
- ‘The new shrine is close to the spot from where Muhammad is supposed to have ascended to heaven on his Night Journey, when, according to Islamic tradition, he was received by Abraham and Moses, and taught the duties of prayer.’
- ‘Inside the Dome of the Rock is the rock from which Muhammad ascended to heaven on his Night Journey.’
- ‘In the Night Journey, Muhammad complained of thirst, and was offered wine and milk.’
- ‘In Islam, angels appear in the Koran, and are important figures to Mohammed, as when Djibril contacted the Prophet and dictated the Koran to him, and conducted him to heaven on the Night Journey.’
- ‘The Night Journey made Jerusalem the third holiest city in Islam and affirmed the continuity of Islam with Judaism and Christianity.’
- ‘Of course, the sura says that this Night Journey to Paradise begins at the ‘further mosque,’ and the understanding of the sages is that the ‘further mosque’ is here.’
- ‘The Prophet suffered similar distress when his people disbelieved his account of his Night Journey.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.