One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A venomous nocturnal African viper.
- ‘There are no leopards in the area anymore to worry about, but beware of the night adders which seem to like the indigenous forest below the cave.’
- ‘Every morning we shook our shoes for scorpions, and every night we ducked the night adders that fell out of trees.’
- ‘The night adders, of which there are several species, are classified in the genus Causus.’
- ‘The egg-eater has a cats eye shape while the night adder has a round pupil.’
- ‘The night adders, in terms of the venom gland size to the body size, has the longest venom glands of all snakes.’
- 1.1South African Any of a number of non-venomous nocturnal colubrid snakes.
- ‘Because the earliest advanced vipers like the Fea's viper and African night adders have all of the head shields and other features of a ‘colubrid’ it will be rather hard to find the basal vipers amongst the rear fanged snakes by any other means than straight DNA testing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.