One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for precocial
- ‘The young is nidifugous and can leave the nest in 3 days and is fed by its parents for about 30 days.’
- ‘But, then there is a nidifugous species that can't wait to ‘flee’ the nest.’
- ‘Chicks are nidifugous and feed themselves shortly after hatching.’
- ‘In nidifugous species, parental care consists largely of protecting the chicks from predation and teaching them where to feed.’
- ‘Please use the ‘chick’ denomination only for chicks and ducklings of nidifugous species.’
Early 20th century: from Latin nidus ‘nest’ + fugere ‘flee’ + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.