One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for altricial
- ‘Both parents feed two to seven nidicolous nestlings.’
- ‘Magpie nestlings, as well as most nidicolous birds, change skin color from red to orange.’
- ‘Newborn toucans are nidicolous, or nest-reared.’
- ‘About 95% of all birds are at least socially monogamous, with both male and female partners typically providing substantial parental care in nidicolous species.’
Early 20th century: from Latin nidus ‘nest’ + -colus ‘inhabiting’ (from the verb colere ‘live in, cultivate’).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.