Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for altricial
- ‘Magpie nestlings, as well as most nidicolous birds, change skin color from red to orange.’
- ‘Newborn toucans are nidicolous, or nest-reared.’
- ‘Both parents feed two to seven nidicolous nestlings.’
- ‘About 95% of all birds are at least socially monogamous, with both male and female partners typically providing substantial parental care in nidicolous species.’
Early 20th century: from Latin nidus nest + -colus inhabiting (from the verb colere live in, cultivate).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.