Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1informal, dated A jukebox, originally one operated by the insertion of a nickel coin.
- ‘An equivalent system is the punched-hole stack of connected cards used in a pianola, or the rotating slotted-metal disk in a nickelodeon, where the music is being played in response to the arrangement of the holes.’
- ‘Songs well up from the subliminal nickelodeon in my head.’
- ‘Well, it's based on this Tijuana nickelodeon machine.’
- ‘This sounds like I'm describing the days of crystal-set radios and hand-cranked nickelodeons, I know.’
- ‘She devotes loving attention to her orchestra, and especially to the coin-operated nickelodeon, the earliest version of a juke box.’
2historical A cinema with an admission fee of one nickel.
movie theatre, movie houseView synonyms
- ‘Before long, thousands of nickelodeons popped up in cities across the country, ushering in a new era of the motion picture as profit-making industry, entertainment for the masses and pop culture juggernaut.’
- ‘Italian theaters and music halls, for example, largely gave way to vaudeville, nickelodeons, organized sports, and radio programming.’
- ‘In 1918, the Chicago Motion Picture Commission heard evidence of the pernicious effect nickelodeons were having on America's youth.’
- ‘In working class neighborhoods, children and teenagers flocked to the cheap storefront movie theaters, called nickelodeons, where even at night only a minority of the audience were adults.’
- ‘Another sound in the nickelodeons was the murmur of immigrant voices translating aloud the titles into the languages of Europe.’
Early 20th century: from nickel + a shortened form of melodeon.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.