One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or shop selling newspapers, magazines, confectionery, etc.
- ‘I live in fear of missing editions; I take strange routes to work that take in good newsagents and bookshops.’
- ‘The book will be on sale at newsagents and supermarkets as well as through charities, schools and community groups.’
- ‘Ten retailers, including supermarkets and newsagents, have pledged their support to the appeal.’
- ‘The winner could be anyone, from a newsagent in York city centre, to an off-licence in Pickering or a petrol station in Selby.’
- ‘It's only 99p if you want to go out and buy a print copy and available from all good newsagents and some supermarkets.’
- ‘Every newsagent or corner store is full of an enormous choice of these, and they are inexpensive.’
- ‘We sell some copies through newsagents, but most are sold by supporters.’
- ‘One boy went into a newsagent's shop and saw a magazine with a free gift attached to the cover.’
- ‘At ten to nine pretty much the only shops open are bakers and newsagents.’
- ‘State of the Arts is sold in select newsagents and bookshops nationally.’
- ‘The shop used to be a newsagent and the move sparked objections from residents, who got up a petition to fight it.’
- ‘As well as tobacconists and newsagents, these shops also function as bars and cafes.’
- ‘But, once again, newsagents are a really cheap but potentially effective marketing tool.’
- ‘Point of sale was overlooked, leaving newsagents in the dark about the latest addition to the market.’
- ‘He enjoyed walking to the newsagent every morning to buy a newspaper.’
- ‘About 50 traders such as butchers, bakers and newsagents close each week.’
- ‘It is available from all newsagents, supermarkets and filling stations in the town.’
- ‘How can newsagents or bookshop managers possibly vet everything that they sell?’
- ‘Profile is being sold through outlets of WH Smith and at other newsagents throughout the North West.’
- ‘Other suppliers, such as newsagents, will only be able to sell them during limited periods.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.