One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A scrolling electronic display of news headlines on a building or along the bottom of a computer or television screen.
- ‘Then I saw the news ticker with the shocking news.’
- ‘The news ticker is currently not suitable for XP or Mac OS X desktops - which are widely used at the BBC.’
- ‘The Irish blog news ticker shows the following pieces on St Patrick's Day 2005.’
- ‘However, I'm also mindful of how news tickers seem to attract people's attention.’
- ‘All the day's political news available at cnn. com / news ticker.’
- ‘You know, the little news ticker at the bottom of the screen that's become a cable TV fixture.’
- ‘Perhaps I spoke to soon - having posted the above my news ticker showed the headline ' Prompt action needed on court vacancies ' directing me to this story.’
- ‘Memri has also announced this report on its news ticker but has not issued a report yet.’
- ‘He sees it as something akin to having the radio on in the background and envisages brokers using it to track news instead of relying on news tickers.’
- ‘Used mainly by subscribers to check e-mail away from home, it will come loaded with much more content and services, including a news ticker and beefed-up sports and music.’
- ‘Perhaps there's an idea here for news sites: Allow customization of the news ticker on the homepage.’
- ‘This news ticker is for those who crave information overload.’
- ‘The cybercafé at Stockley Park has a kitchen and lounge with a television, a news ticker, and colorful iMacs for free Web surfing.’
- ‘She said that the news tickers were added in response to feedback from users, who said they wanted a quick way to know when their friends updated profiles.’
- ‘If RSS were like a news ticker, articles would be the equivalent of magazines.’
- ‘Watch some TV that does not have a news ticker on the bottom.’
- ‘If you then add the clock and the news ticker, there will barely be any room for Captain Kirk and his crew on the screen.’
- ‘She was moved to see a news ticker counting off her 140th day of captivity.’
- ‘I'm sure by the time you're reading this it made the news ticker for a brief second on CNN.’
- ‘The Bloomberg news channel has a running news ticker that will probably be ignored unless you stare at the PocketDAB's screen constantly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.