One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large island off the east coast of Canada, at the mouth of the St Lawrence River. In 1949 it was united with Labrador (as Newfoundland and Labrador) to form a province of Canada.
A dog of a very large breed with a thick coarse coat.
- ‘Swimming pools used Newfoundlands as lifeguards.’
- ‘No, he's not a Newfoundland, but a small golden retriever mix.’
- ‘A large black Newfoundland dog entered the room by walking in through the waterfall.’
- ‘Overall it looked like a great snake, a large Newfoundland dog, a steam yacht (although traveling too fast to be one), a horse, a Florida manatee, a submarine periscope, a whale, etc., etc.’
- ‘Wendy, John and Michael are the children of Mr and Mrs Darling and their nurse is a Newfoundland dog called Nana.’
- ‘It features Milo, a glorious Newfoundland dog, cradling another hapless victim of the turbulent waters off New England's Egg Rock lighthouse.’
- ‘He brought his son Jack, 12, along with their giant Newfoundland dog, Rose.’
- ‘This would be boring, if not for a cameo by a Newfoundland named Josh, last year's Westminster winner.’
- ‘Worton owner Christine Bodman's Newfoundland dog, Lobo, whose pedigree name is Sheridel Luciano of Acara, also did well, taking second place in the special junior section of his class.’
- ‘I met with one of the most extraordinary phenomena that I ever saw, or heard of: - Mr Sellers has in his yard a large Newfoundland dog, and an old raven.’
- ‘And no, I'm not a surly Canadian; the name just refers to my big, black Newfoundland dog.’
- ‘Even Lewis's Newfoundland dog, Seaman, suffered from needle grass barbs.’
- ‘The book details the expedition's planning, its adventures and discoveries, and its aftermath, focusing especially on the exploits of Seaman, Meriweather Lewis's Newfoundland dog.’
- ‘While there are no official numbers on how many Newfoundlands are certified in water search-and-recovery, Gundersen estimates there are less than 50 throughout the United States.’
- ‘I now sat, still in the blue evening gown I'd worn for the performance, covered in Band-Aids, curled in the beanbag chair in my living room, Schu, my loveable Newfoundland dog, collapsed at my feet.’
- ‘This has been the case with three of the Newfoundlands I've adopted, who've been wonderful, healthy pets.’
- ‘The two Newfoundland dogs are regular fixtures at the pelican crossing near the school where retired Hampshire policeman Tony works on weekdays - so much so that they are said to be part of the school.’
- ‘Curly is a cheerful Newfoundland dog purchased by Francois and Perrault, whom Buck first meets aboard the Narwhal.’
- ‘The Missouri was remarkable for its ‘sinuosity’; it meandered over a wide bottom, ever sculpting the valley environment for a wonderful diversity of wildlife, including blue catfish larger than a Newfoundland dog.’
- ‘Suddenly, Jupiter opens the front door of the house and an enormous Newfoundland dog runs inside and happily jumps upon the narrator, licking his face eagerly.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.