One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first day of the year; in the modern Western calendar, 1 January.
- ‘They are also planning another 48-hour strike for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.’
- ‘It had snowed on New Year's Day, and then iced, and then snowed again that week, so we got an extra week on our Christmas break.’
- ‘Eugene, who has been in charge of decorations at the hotel for three years, will even work Boxing Day and New Year's Day.’
- ‘All being well the next New Year's Day will be spent in a new place, quiet not only the morning after a big party but all year through.’
- ‘Two men were arrested shortly after New Year's Day for discharging a firearm in the beachfront area.’
- ‘On New Year's Day they discovered water trickling down the walls in their hall.’
- ‘It is unfortunate that their stress levels seem to escalate around Christmas and New Year's Day.’
- ‘From New Year's Day, Revenue will only pay out on claims for expenses incurred in the last four years.’
- ‘On New Year's Day Wiltshire fire service spent most of the day pumping out flood waters that invaded the Market Place.’
- ‘Now is the time to prepare if you want to give up smoking on New Year's Day 2004.’
- ‘The lucky draw to announce the winner will be conducted on the New Year's Day.’
- ‘Tiny twin girls born eight weeks premature kept special care staff busy as the New Year's Day smiles were mixed with concern.’
- ‘Has New Year's Day been set up to give the illusion of having a new start?’
- ‘Every New Year's Day we had a message from the Pope about peace and that was his constant theme.’
- ‘They become yearlings on the first New Year's Day after they have been foaled.’
- ‘He suffered brain damage because of a build-up of fluid in his skull and died nine months later on New Year's Day.’
- ‘In January it lost part of its roof, blown off in a freak New Year's Day storm.’
- ‘The New Year's Day trip to Grimsby was called off because of a waterlogged pitch.’
- ‘There were six babies born on New Year's Day, and full details will appear in next week's Herald.’
- ‘One of the most beautiful and decadent traditions in classical music is the New Year's Day concert.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.