Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A new movement or trend, especially in the arts.‘a new wave was coming in architecture’
- 1.1[mass noun]A style of rock music popular in the late 1970s, deriving from punk but generally more poppy in sound and less aggressive in performance.[as modifier] ‘new wave bands’
- ‘It begins with a squall of synthesisers and segues into a terrific new wave guitar line and a terrific drumbeat.’
- ‘How can these two bands think they came out of a vacuum, arguing about new wave authenticity in the 21st Century?’
- ‘Their music has a little bit of many great influences, from post-punk to new wave to shoegaze.’
- ‘Imagine that Elvis had lived, and that Col Parker got the idea that new wave was what the kids are into these days.’
- ‘They asked some young singers who had never heard the songs before to sing on each track, and in the process what we get is a unique way to hear our favourite new wave songs.’
- 1.2another term for nouvelle vague
- ‘In fact, Hatherley has a general affinity with early 1980s new wave.’
- ‘Schrader reminds me a little of Claude Chabrol, who occupied a similar position within the French new wave of the 1960s.’
- ‘It's hard to pin down Zhang Yimou, the maverick from China's Fifth Generation of new wave filmmakers.’
- ‘It says something of the times that Coutard, a man who had worked with all the distinguished new wave French directors, said yes.’
- ‘In fact, politics is one of the areas where the Toronto new wave and the French New Wave truly diverge.’
- 1.1[mass noun]A style of rock music popular in the late 1970s, deriving from punk but generally more poppy in sound and less aggressive in performance.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.