Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The phase of the moon when it first appears as a slender crescent, shortly after its conjunction with the sun.‘owls hooted and the new moon rose’
- ‘A solar eclipse can only occur at conjunction, and the sighting of the new moon is typically not until 30 hours later.’
- ‘Once the new moon appears, the heir climbs onto the roof of his house and proclaims the power names of the deceased.’
- ‘We all speculate that we want to go at a time when the moon is a new moon.’
- ‘The time of the waning moon leading up to a new moon is considered to be the optimum for detoxifying and letting go of what the body no longer needs.’
- ‘Every month, the first crescent of the new moon is observed, defining the beginning of the new month, whilst each year Ramadan commences 11 days earlier.’
- 1.1The time when the new moon appears.
- ‘Isn't it ironic that you guys performed your story - which revolves around a new moon - on the night of the new moon?’
- ‘Tokyo Mosque confirmed the new moon was Thursday by inquiring with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, and marked the beginning of Ramadan on Friday.’
- ‘The park also hosts astronomy programs around new moons.’
- ‘The members organise turtle walks everyday and during full moon and new moon days, intensify the patrols.’
- ‘From new moon to new moon, and from sabbath to sabbath, all flesh shall come to worship before me, says the LORD.’
The time at which the moon is in conjunction with the sun, when it is not visible from the earth.‘only 31 hours before new moon’
- ‘Syzygy of the sun, Earth, and moon occur twice a month, at the full and new moons.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.