Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A line or plane through a beam or plate connecting points at which no extension or compression occurs when it is bent.
- ‘Assembly involves considerable welding, especially along the neutral axes of tubular beams made from extruded channels, of which the upper web forms the roadway.’
- ‘The arc length through the neutral axis after bending and the flat length of the sheet metal before bending are equal.’
- ‘An additional requirement for the formulas to be correct, is that the neutral axis in bending lies in the centre of the cross-section.’
- ‘The radius to the neutral axis is 1.4070, and when you subtract 10 (the inside radius of the bend), you're left with 0.407-an offset factor that defines the neutral axis relative to the inside radius.’
- ‘The vertical eccentricity between the neutral axes of the main span's composite deck and the box of the back span causes significant positive bending in the span from pier 40 to pier 41.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.