Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a drug) tending to reduce nervous tension by depressing nerve functions.
tranquillizing, calming, depressant, soothing, calmative, relaxing, soporificView synonyms
- ‘The prolonged use of neuroleptic drugs (major tranquillizers) can produce movement disorders, including tremors, tics, and smacking of the lips.’
- ‘In these patients, neuroleptic drug use triples mortality, primarily secondary to severe functional decline.’
- ‘Treatment of delirium requires use of neuroleptic drugs, such as haloperidol and chlorpromazine, not sedatives.’
- ‘Judicious doses of neuroleptic medication may be required if hallucinations occur.’
- ‘A number of the older tricyclic antidepressants, typical neuroleptic medications and, more recently, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors have been trialed in eating disorders.’
A neuroleptic drug; a major tranquillizer.
- ‘In practice, however, drugs such as neuroleptics and other sedatives are often prescribed in an attempt to control what can be an alarming situation.’
- ‘Other agents, such as lithium, neuroleptics, trazadone and benzodiazepines, have not proved effective.’
- ‘The drugs used for schizophrenia are antipsychotics or neuroleptics (major tranquillizers).’
- ‘In this respect, treatment strategies that minimise the risk of side effects, such as the use of low dose typical neuroleptics or atypical antipsychotic drugs, may be a rational choice for the first episode.’
- ‘Tics generally do not by themselves require treatment, but may respond to neuroleptics, benzodiazepines, or SSRIs.’
1950s: from neuro- ‘relating to nerves’ + -leptic, as in organoleptic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.