Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The posterior lobe of the hypophysis (pituitary gland), which stores and releases oxytocin and vasopressin produced in the hypothalamus.
- ‘The posterior lobe of the pituitary gland or neurohypophysis contains unique glial elements referred to as pituicytes.’
- ‘The neurohypophysis was replaced by fibrotic tissue containing perivascular macrophages and activated microglia, and in the cerebellum, there were large areas of myelin pallor.’
- ‘Vasopressin is an endogenous peptide hormone secreted by the neurohypophysis in response to an increase in serum osmolality or a decrease in plasma volume.’
- ‘The neurohypophysis, or posterior pituitary, is derived from an evagination of the infundibular portion of the diencephalon of the brain.’
- ‘A histologic hallmark of these tumors is the arrangement of spindle cells around blood vessels, a pattern that is very similar to the architecture of the normal neurohypophysis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.