One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hormone such as vasopressin or noradrenaline produced by nerve cells and secreted into the circulation.
- ‘B-type natriuretic peptide is a neurohormone secreted from the cardiac ventricles in response to ventricular stretch and pressure overload.’
- ‘The endorphins function as inhibitory neurotransmitters and neurohormones: they are released from nerve cells to act on other cells that bear opioid receptors and thus dampen the activity of those cells.’
- ‘The conceptual basis of progressive left ventricular dysfunction has now turned to neurohormones such as norepinephrine, angiotensin and aldosterone.’
- ‘Serum levels of atrial natriuretic peptide, brain natriuretic peptide, norepinephrine and other neurohormones are elevated in patients with heart failure.’
- ‘Recent studies have revealed a correlation between prognosis in heart failure and plasma levels of such neurohormones as endothelin, norepinephrine and renin, among others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.