Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Resulting in or characterized by degeneration of the nervous system, especially the neurons in the brain:‘an age-related neurodegenerative disorder’
- ‘The challenge will be in identifying the biochemical changes associated with mutations for each neurodegenerative disease.’
- ‘It can be used to stimulate areas of the brain that were previously inactive due to injury or neurodegenerative processes.’
- ‘Dysfunction in apoptosis can lead to cancer or neurodegenerative diseases.’
- ‘The loss of ability may be associated with a number of inborn errors of metabolism or adult onset neurodegenerative disorders.’
- ‘Furthermore, many of the proteins encoded by genes implicated in neurodegenerative diseases interact with cytoskeletal proteins.’
- ‘Postmortem and imaging studies often fail to show the characteristic abnormalities of any known neurodegenerative disorders, leading to the suspicion that a novel neuropathological process may be at large.’
- ‘Memory loss that impairs function suggests neurodegenerative dementia, which is defined as a decline in two or more cognitive domains.’
- ‘The neurodegenerative changes leading to clinical Alzheimer's disease may begin in middle age.’
- ‘Mitochondrial dysfunction is a common feature of several neurodegenerative disorders.’
- ‘Some New Mexicans have been diagnosed with neurodegenerative afflictions which disappeared when they stopped consuming aspartame.’
- ‘Baker knows firsthand the devastating effects of MSA, a neurodegenerative terminal illness that causes slurred speech and loss of muscle coordination.’
- ‘The researchers hypothesize that the pronounced loss of these neurons could be caused either by a neurodegenerative process or an autoimmune response.’
- ‘Studies in Drosophila have been used to improve our understanding of human neurodegenerative diseases.’
- ‘Glucose metabolism is a measure of brain cell activity, and reduced glucose metabolism can be a very sensitive indicator of brain damage and an early indicator of neurodegenerative disease.’
- ‘Patients with concomitant disease were included if their conditions were controlled, but patients with neurodegenerative conditions and those who had already received cholinesterase inhibitor therapy were excluded.’
- ‘The alpha-synuclein protein, which is found broadly in the brain, has been implicated in several neurodegenerative disorders.’
- ‘Using this strategy, we have identified 15 mutations affecting at least nine loci that cause gross neurodegenerative pathology.’
- ‘He was appointed consultant paediatrician at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children in 1954 and during the next 12 years published first descriptions of many metabolic and neurodegenerative diseases.’
- ‘These shape changes seem to be tied to onset of symptoms and may be neurodegenerative in nature.’
- ‘One explanation is that altered mental state is indicative of some underlying neurodegenerative process not recognized at the time of admission (i.e., Alzheimer's disease or cerebrovascular disease).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.