Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] Inflammation of a peripheral nerve or nerves, usually causing pain and loss of function.
- ‘Differentiating acute brachial plexus neuritis from other diagnoses is important so that surgical treatment is not performed for small osteophytes that may be present on MRI, but are not causing the patient's neurologic deficits.’
- ‘It is probably due to supraorbital neuritis - an irritation of a small nerve above the eyebrow which supplies sensation to this area.’
- ‘It is therefore specifically useful for various types of neuralgia and neuritis when there is hyperemia, nervous irritability and intercostal neuralgia, ovarian neuralgia and sometimes sciatic neuritis or neuralgia.’
- ‘Unlike acute brachial plexus neuritis, the pain, weakness and sensory loss associated with cervical radiculopathy tend to occur simultaneously.’
- ‘In 1943, Spillane was probably the first to recognize acute brachial plexus neuritis as a distinct clinical entity.’
- 1.1 (in general use) neuropathy.
- ‘Harry had advanced liver disease, peripheral neuritis, and early cognitive loss.’
- ‘He had a few songwriting successes as a young man, but he didn't make composition a central wage-earning activity until 1919, when neuritis made it difficult for him to continue playing the viola professionally.’
- ‘Perhaps you need to see a neurophysician who might tell you if your problems are due to neuritis or some other cause.’
- ‘Holst suffered from poor eyesight and neuritis in his arm, and his health was further affected by a fall in 1923.’
- ‘If you are suffering from any neurological disorders like neuroses, stress, or neuritis, the most suitable water for your condition will be the Velingrad waters.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.