One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The thin sheath around a nerve axon (including myelin where this is present).
covering, cover, case, casing, envelope, sleeve, wrapperView synonyms
- ‘The neurilemma of a medullated fibre contains myelin laid down by Schwann cells.’
- ‘The oligodendrocyte does not form a neurilemma because its cell body does not wrap around any axons.’
- ‘These nuclei are believed to be in connection with a delicate sheath corresponding with the neurolemma of the medullated nerve fiber.’
- ‘When an axon is cut the neurilemma forms a regeneration tube.’
- ‘The axis cylinder is the essential conducting structure of the nerve, while the neurolemma and the myelin act as insulating agents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.