Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The thin sheath around a nerve axon (including myelin where this is present).
covering, cover, case, casing, envelope, sleeve, wrapperView synonyms
- ‘The axis cylinder is the essential conducting structure of the nerve, while the neurolemma and the myelin act as insulating agents.’
- ‘The oligodendrocyte does not form a neurilemma because its cell body does not wrap around any axons.’
- ‘These nuclei are believed to be in connection with a delicate sheath corresponding with the neurolemma of the medullated nerve fiber.’
- ‘The neurilemma of a medullated fibre contains myelin laid down by Schwann cells.’
- ‘When an axon is cut the neurilemma forms a regeneration tube.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.