One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in an embryo) a hollow structure from which the brain and spinal cord form. Defects in its development can result in congenital abnormalities such as spina bifida.
- ‘While the notochord and somites are developing, the neural plate ectoderm above them begins to develop into the neural tube and the embryo is then called a neurula.’
- ‘Folic acid works, but it only works if taken before and during the first few weeks of pregnancy, when the neural tube is developing into the brain and spinal cord.’
- ‘A baby's brain and spinal cord are formed from the neural tube very early in pregnancy.’
- ‘This structure, called the neural tube, forms by the 28th day after conception.’
- ‘If all women of childbearing age consumed folic acid daily, the number of pregnancies affected by neural tube defects would decrease by one half.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.