Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Causing annoyance or difficulty.‘nettlesome regional disputes’
- ‘In southern Florida, utility companies now grapple with monk parakeets and the massive, nettlesome nests they build atop transmission poles.’
- ‘And, the question of all questions, so why in the face of all these nettlesome issues do we nonetheless find ourselves ethically compelled to bring this Society for Jewish Ethics into being?’
- ‘He has strained against every nettlesome one of them - counter-attacking and squandering valuable time that should have been used to promote his message.’
- ‘Just figuring out the size of the operation can be nettlesome.’
- ‘Felix's presumptuous action is barely less nettlesome than his withholding and patronizing behavior toward a teenage student who develops a crush on him.’
- ‘It's those last few factors that are particularly nettlesome.’
- ‘As China convenes its Parliament this week, its leaders seem less agitated about the nettlesome issue of Taiwan than they have been for some time.’
- ‘Others are now convincing themselves that we have traded nettlesome financial instability for welcomed economic stability, but this rose-colored notion's days are numbered.’
- ‘Now, I'm not trying to be nettlesome or willfully dense.’
- ‘Why has this problem of origins proved nettlesome?’
- ‘In a highly mobile nation like the United States, this is particularly nettlesome when children change schools and discover that their new school district teaches geometry in 7th grade, while they took it the previous year.’
- ‘As nettlesome as this challenge is, it is one that we dare not avoid, as different people of different religions increasingly acknowledge, especially among the young.’
- ‘These efforts can be particularly nettlesome at work.’
- ‘He berates moralistic critics of ‘consumerism’ who evade that nettlesome matter of ‘the ownership and organization of production.’’
- ‘Over time, the democratic transformation may go from being a nettlesome impediment to certain U.S. objectives to a persistent constraint on our superpower status.’
- ‘But dwelling on these nettlesome individuals is never a good idea.’
- ‘Even better, some of the economy's most nettlesome worries are behind it, which should help keep profits moving northward.’
- ‘The memorabilia problem is particularly nettlesome when dealing with an author whose fame derives from achievement on the playing fields or pop charts.’
- ‘Religious traditions have played a key contributory role in perpetuating conflicts about this nettlesome issue.’
- ‘We'll work through the issues that are nettlesome.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.