One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in invertebrates such as coelenterates and flatworms) a diffuse network of neurons which conducts impulses in all directions from a point of stimulus.
- ‘The cnidarian homolog of the nervous system is a nerve net that is largely ectodermal.’
- ‘The nerve net has been implicated in the behavioral coordination amongst polyps in the colony.’
- ‘The nerve nets for these areas would be good antennae.’
- ‘Here in this marine polyp with the primitive nerve net is clearly exhibited one of the most pervasive phenomena of the animal kingdom - decrement of response with repeated stimulation (habituation).’
- ‘These rhopalial ganglia presumably sort this information and then distribute it to the appropriate effectors, the swim musculature, via the distributed nerve net of the subumbrella.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.