One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The axon of a neuron. A nerve is formed of a bundle of many such fibres, with their sheaths.
- ‘Combining partially differentiated stem cells with gene therapy can promote the growth of new ‘insulation’ around nerve fibers in the damaged spinal cords of rats, a new study shows.’
- ‘Around every nerve fibre - the pathways along which messages are passed from the brain and the different parts of the body - is a wrapping of membrane called myelin.’
- ‘For virtual reality applications, the nanobots will take up positions next to every nerve fiber coming from all five of our senses.’
- ‘An unmyelinated nerve fiber has been tentatively identified near the basement membrane of the cell.’
- ‘In the HD specimens, we noted a lack of ganglion cells and peripherin-positive nerve fibers in the muscle.’
- ‘The optic nerve is a bundle of more than a million nerve fibers at the back of your eye.’
- ‘If the researchers stopped there, the new motor neurons would send axons, the long nerve fibers that conduct nervous impulses, up and down the rats' spinal cords.’
- ‘When myelin or the nerve fiber is destroyed or damaged, the ability of the nerves to conduct electrical impulses to and from the brain is disrupted, and this produces the various symptoms of MS.’
- ‘Typically, there is a nerve fibre or axon, which can be a metre or more in length, along which impulses travel to convey information to other neurons, or to muscles or glands.’
- ‘The reason for symptoms in M.S. is a series of defects, called plaques, in the covering (called myelin) of nerve fibers in the brain, spinal cord and eye.’
- ‘The hallmark of the disease is the emergence of multiple areas of inflammation and scarring of the protective myelin sheath that covers nerve fibers.’
- ‘They transfer the impulses of a smell through a nerve fiber to the olfactory bulb in the brain just above the nose.’
- ‘The effect on the brain is a local loss of the insulating sheaths of the nerve fibres (demyelination).’
- ‘MS is a chronic disease of the nervous system and is the result of damage to myelin - a protective sheath surrounding nerve fibres of the central nervous system.’
- ‘In fact, most of the injured axons in the nerve fiber layer were located adjacent to or within areas of retinal hemorrhage and retinal detachment, suggesting a probable cause-effect relationship.’
- ‘The pons is a specialized band of nerve fibers that links the midbrain with the medulla oblongata and acts as a high-functioning switchboard.’
- ‘From his observations, the astute Waller inferred that nerve cells nourished the nerve fibers.’
- ‘From this region, nerve fibres run down in bundles through the substance of the brain into the brain stem and spinal cord.’
- ‘Pressure in the eye builds up and damages the optic nerve and nerve fibres of the retina, leading to glaucoma.’
- ‘Laboratory rats that received the triple therapy were able to regenerate nerve fibers in the spinal cord and had improved movement 8 weeks after treatment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.