One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The erroneous theory that rocks such as granite were formed by crystallization from the waters of a primeval ocean. The chief advocate of this theory was Abraham Gottlob Werner.Compare with plutonism
- ‘C. is noted for the development of the concept of Neptunism.’
- ‘As the science of mineralogy progressed, it became clear that Neptunism was flawed.’
- ‘This Swedish scientist made the first chemical classification of minerals (torbernite is named for him) and devised a scheme for the world's rocks that Werner later perfected as Neptunism.’
- ‘An enthusiastic fossil digger, he was influenced by his friend James Hutton, though he accepted elements of both Neptunism and Vulcanism.’
- ‘The similarity of the shape of the columns to those of quartz crystals was once used to support the theory (called Neptunism) that volcanic rocks precipitated from water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.