One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of the functional units in the kidney, consisting of a glomerulus and its associated tubule, through which the glomerular filtrate passes before emerging as urine.
- ‘If all of the plasma delivered to the kidneys passed through the glomerular filters into the nephrons, the filters would be clogged with a ‘sludge’ of red cells, white cells, and plasma proteins.’
- ‘It performs all these tasks in different parts of the nephron, the functional unit of the kidney.’
- ‘The renal cortex consists of nephrons and blood vessels.’
- ‘The nephron is the functional unit of the kidney where urine is produced.’
- ‘Stones may form in the kidneys, blocking blood from passing through the nephrons and tubules to be filtered.’
1930s: via German from Greek nephros ‘kidney’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.