Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the functional units in the kidney, consisting of a glomerulus and its associated tubule, through which the glomerular filtrate passes before emerging as urine.
- ‘It performs all these tasks in different parts of the nephron, the functional unit of the kidney.’
- ‘The renal cortex consists of nephrons and blood vessels.’
- ‘Stones may form in the kidneys, blocking blood from passing through the nephrons and tubules to be filtered.’
- ‘If all of the plasma delivered to the kidneys passed through the glomerular filters into the nephrons, the filters would be clogged with a ‘sludge’ of red cells, white cells, and plasma proteins.’
- ‘The nephron is the functional unit of the kidney where urine is produced.’
1930s: via German from Greek nephros kidney.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.