One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the kidneys.Also called Bright's disease
- ‘The three-year study showed these patients had interstitial nephritis (ie, inflamed kidney tissues) and severely damaged kidney tubules.’
- ‘It has a wide range of uses including the common cold, heatstroke, acute gastroenteritis, pyelitis, nephritis, edema and liver and gallbladder disorders.’
- ‘A 25-year-old white female had an eight-year history of SLE with associated membranous nephritis, and hypertension.’
- ‘Single cells will be found in nephritis, acute tubular necrosis, kidney transplant rejection and salicylate poisoning.’
- ‘Six months later, his serum creatinine level began to rise, and a kidney biopsy showed chronic rejection and recurrence of lupus nephritis.’
Late 16th century: via late Latin from Greek, from nephros ‘kidney’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.