Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting a zoogeographical region comprising Central and South America, including the tropical southern part of Mexico and the Caribbean. Distinctive animals include edentates, opossums, marmosets, and tamarins.Compare with Neogaea
- ‘Moreover, palm fruits have been proposed (together with figs) to be keystone resources for Neotropical vertebrate frugivores.’
- ‘Wilson's Warblers are Neotropical migrants that winter in the mountains of Mexico and Central America, although small numbers remain in the extreme southern U.S.’
- ‘There are a number of animals which prey on Neotropical river otters including anacondas, jaguars, caimans, dogs and birds of prey.’
- ‘To ensure future progress in Neotropical ornithology and better communication among all ornithologists interested in the Neotropical avifauna, several steps should be considered.’
- ‘They are Neotropical birds found from Mexico to central Argentina.’
Relating to or denoting a phytogeographical kingdom comprising Central and South America but excluding the southern parts of Chile and Argentina.
- ‘Background and Aims Pollination through sexual mimicry, also known as pseudocopulation, has been suggested to occur in some genera of the Neotropical orchid subtribe Maxillariinae.’
- ‘Leaf production and fall patterns are well identified for Australian savanna species and for South American Neotropical savanna species.’
- ‘Indeed, until recently, it was generally believed that all members of the Neotropical genus Maxillaria lacked nectar.’
- ‘Comparison of the nectaries of the presumed hummingbird-pollinated orchids H. imbricata and M. coccinea would perhaps help us better understand the structural features that characterize the nectary of such Neotropical orchids.’
- ‘Patterns of resource investment were studied in male and female individuals in a natural population of the Neotropical dioecious shrub Baccharis dracunculifolia DC throughout one reproductive season.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.