Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
New or modern; recent:‘another effort by the White House to display its neoteric wizardry went awry’
new, the latest, late, current, fresh, modern, contemporary, present-day, up to date, up to the minute, latter-day, latteroriginal, innovatory, innovational, new, novel, fresh, unconventional, unorthodox, off-centre, unusual, unfamiliar, unprecedented, avant-garde, experimental, inventive, ingeniousView synonyms
- ‘Nishad says we are living in the manacles of neoteric technology’
- ‘Of course, the herald of the neoteric Eden must embody the same transcendent characteristics.’
- ‘Many of these neoteric solvent systems have interesting properties that make them suitable for use in homogeneous catalysis.’
- ‘Prodigious is the only word for it; still, having just been briefed on the Future Combat System with its neoteric dogs, mules, and eagles, the Caesar's gun crew looked to me like Civil War reenactors.’
- ‘This was going to be a playful, chirpy piece about my first long-term (long-term in the neoteric sense, so a year) relationship with a woman.’
- ‘Blend a few more neoteric sugary additions like simple syrup, fructose or honey and we're up-to-date.’
A modern person; a person who advocates new ideas.
- ‘The neoterics had written poems to their mistresses as if they were goddesses.’
- ‘Catullus and his crew think of themselves as the new neoterics.’
- ‘A whole group of young poets, the so-called ‘neoterics’, shared the same rejection of traditional norms and the same search for new forms and content, and, as in their lifestyle, Hellenistic culture provided the most important.’
Late 16th century: via late Latin from Greek neōterikos, from neōteros newer, comparative of neos.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.