Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A systemic agricultural insecticide resembling nicotine.‘studies have found a link between neonicotinoids and declining bee populations’→ neonic
- ‘They are both neonicotinoids and are applied directly to the seed by commercial seed treaters.’
- ‘New studies have strongly suggested that a class of pesticides, neonicotinoids, which are used to kill sucking insects such as aphids by paralysing their nerves, could be responsible for declining global bee populations.’
- ‘A second study at the National Institute for Agricultural Research in France found that honeybees exposed to thiamethoxam, another neonicotinoid, were more than twice as likely to die outside their hives.’
- ‘In general, compounds known as pyrethroids and neonicotinoids were the best performers, according to the researchers.’
- ‘Goulson and his colleagues exposed developing bumblebee colonies to a neonicotinoid called imidacloprid in doses comparable to what they might find in the wild.’
- ‘A team at Scotland's University of Stirling fed bee colonies with doses of imidacloprid, a neonicotinoid used on maize and oilseed rape.’
- ‘Neonicotinoids bind irreversibly to receptors in the central nervous system of insects.’
- ‘Scientists are also in two minds about the potential harm of neonicotinoids, with some claiming that the actual doses used in the wild aren't enough to do any bee-related damage.’
- ‘A new breed of insecticides known as the neonicotinoids has been grabbing headlines recently; research indicates links to the collapse of honeybee colonies.’
1990s: from neo- + nicotinoid, a type of compound chemically related to nicotine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.